Monday, October 29, 2007

Back on the Bike

After a few days off I was scheduled for an hour and a half on the bike. The bike has been a love/hate thing for me since I started training. It is my major weakness mainly because I've never cycled before and because living in Boston had made it difficult in the past. Plus I fell a bunch of times when I was first learning and it hurt. Now that I have an indoor trainer I have no excuse...right?

Yes and No. I was off the bike for a few weeks due to pain in my left knee. It turns out my seat was way to low thus crunching my outer calf muscles. The pain was getting worse the more time I spent in the saddle. Finally I shelled out some bucks to have my bike re-fit to my height and dimensions which has all but eliminated the pain. So right now I have been cycling until I feel the familiar pain and then getting off.

Hopefully I can just gradually build up the muscles at this pace for a while and be 100% pain free by late winter.

Today I did 70 minutes at a pretty good cadence for a relatively pain free workout. Tomorrow I swim so I should get some decent rest. I am glad I have been resting on Saturday and Sunday. We are still a good ways out from race time so the extra rest won't kill me and I can be ready for the week ahead. So far so good.

No comments: