Friday, October 26, 2007

Time trial

My workout today called for a time trial, which was to follow a good warm up. I was to swim for 1000 yds keeping a steady, race-like pace, but I was not supposed to go out so hard as to burn myself out by the end. At the end, I needed to figure out my avg. split time for each 100 yd. interval, which would give me a good estimate of my improvement. My previous best was 1:48, meaning I completed the 1000 yds. in 18:03.

I used to hate warming up thinking that I would tire myself out for the main set. That's such BS. Its impossible to swim at your best if you get in the water cold. I need to swim at least 300 yds. before I am used to the water.

After a good warmup, I started the main set, wayyyy fast. By 200yds., I was virtually out of breath and starting to struggle. By 300 I was checking the clock just in case I needed stop. At that point I realized I wouldn't finish unless I relaxed, focused on my breathing, and lengthened my body. By 700 I was still out of breath but swimming well and excited about the home stretch. I finished the set 16:43, crushing my previous time and averaging 1:40. Sick.

It was a great set, I really pushed myself and worked hard. Swimming is counter-intuitive, so when I say I worked hard, I mean worked hard mentally and stayed as calm and composed as I could. Therefore, I could go faster. When I got out of the pool, my lats (muscles in the back under the tricep) and triceps were shredded. My chest was pumping too. I musta done something right. Plus, I felt nothing in my shoulders which tells me my form was good.

Although I am physically shot, I am pretty pumped. Tomorrow I am scheduled to bike and Sunday I am scheduled to run. I haven't really worked out on the weekends much in favor of resting and getting set up for the week ahead. It'll be a gametime decision whether I get on the bike. I am supposed to do 3 hrs, but if I rest until Monday I may be better off.

To answer Veronica's comment - I don't really think about much underwater. I spend most of the time counting strokes from wall to wall. If I am swimming really well I can make it to the wall in 19 or 20 strokes. But my average is probably 21. If I am swimming poorly or losing focus I am more like 23 or 24. This topic deserves more discussion so I will come back to this over the weekend.

Off to see my niece and goddaughter who was born this morning. Kai'leia Doreen Corpuz 7lbs. 8 oz.

Here's a video of the Lemonheads song from before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9M-iH42nMI

Song in my head - Who You Wit'? Jay-Z from "In My Lifetime, Vol. 1" I am so stuck in the 1990s its pathetic "Doe to get, More show to rip, I suggest you wanna roll with the clique, Who You Wit'? Frozen wrists, and flow's is sick, more 0's than you know exist @#$%^, Who You Wit'" Best rap song ever.

No comments: