Wednesday, October 24, 2007

First Post

I wanted to create this blog as a way to write down my training thoughts as I prepare for my races. A bit of background. My name is Dennis, I am 31, married with a 2 and 1/2 year old daughter. I started training in early 2006 because I started feeling like it was getting too late to get in great shape (and I had always wanted to try a triathlon). I started on the exercise bike at the gym, and went into the pool a few times for a few laps and thought it might be fun. A friend soon told me, "Just sign up for a race, by then you will be committed." The rest is history.

In 2006 I did 3 races (shoulda been four). The longest distance I completed was a grueling International distance triathlon which set me on my way. My performance was horrible. I could barely swim. I was one of the worst cyclists in the race (each time I raced), and I could not run since the bike would usually kick my butt.

I worked out throughout the Fall of 2006 and Winter of 2007. Swimming started to become my strong suit as I focused on "swimming pretty". I was soon training at a half-Ironman level and cycling and running at a much better pace. Due to a cross country move I was unable to compete in any races in 2007, but I am ready to go for 2008.

I joined Team Blazeman which raised money and awareness for ALS research (Lou Gehrig's disease more on that later). Through the team I recieved free training workouts through trainingpeaks.com and D3Multisport. My only problem was I started to get rundown from fatigue, and getting distracted by a million other things. It became very easy to talk myself out of working out or getting bogged down by work, family and whatnot. This blog is here for me to put my boring thoughts down and keep me focused on training. Feel free to email me comments or suggestions. Other than that, ENJOY!

No comments: